[games_access] Alternative Accessible Haptic Game Controller (was: Japanese links part 2: NAMCO accessible controllerfor Playstation 2 etc.)

AudioGames.net richard at audiogames.net
Tue Nov 22 14:09:17 EST 2005

Hi Barrie and list,

Thanks for posting these great links. I assume you're keeping track of all
these somewhere in an archive? Would make a nice article in the future! I
got a question mostly for Barrie but I'd like to ask others to help out as
well. The question is related to alternative game controllers:

This week I was approached by one of the largest of technical universities
in Holland who asked me (or actually AudioGames.net) to help out with a
seminar for 2nd year Industrial Design students . They asked me to formulate
and assist with a research assignment in which students design an
"alternative haptic game controller". It should be handheld (or bodyheld)
and it should stimulate movement of the player. The university originally
had the idea to link it to audio games because of the interesting
"hand-ear"-relationship. Accessibility was not within the description. The
project's duration is about 6 weeks I believe.

Since I'm busy with the "Game Accessibility"-project (a project of the Dutch
Accessibility foundation - I know I keep hinting about this but I will tell
more about it when we actually launch) I thought this research assignment
would fit in nicely. Together with my collegue Sander I'm currently scanning
the different possibilities. One of the things I would like to do with this
assignment is to make it a R&D project in which to get more knowledge about
possible accessible game controllers. This is not exactly my field although
I try to keep track of whatever Barrie does:)

I would like to know what problems/limitations/possibilities there are with
current accessible game controllers. Can you tell me if there's a NEED for a
specific design/technology through which games could be played more easily?
I personally like the idea of a "one button"-controller that actually has
more functionality than just "on" or "off". But I wouldn't really know if
there's a need for that. I know that there's a very wide range of haptic
assistive technology and alternative controllers. I also know that the scope
of motoric disabilities if quite big and varied. Therefore I am thinking to
just pick one or two of the most common motoric disabilities and ask the
students to design for that specific disability. What do you think about
that (and...er... what IS the most common motoric disability *among gamers*
?)

If anyone has some nice ideas/questions that could be researched within this
project, please step up :)

Greets,

Richard

ps: here's an example of some of the quality of the students' work:

http://acg.media.mit.edu/people/golan/papers/shakepad/slides/index.html