[games_access] to Barrie about GDC PowerPoint (UA) UniversalAccessibility

Barrie Ellis barrie.ellis at oneswitch.org.uk
Sun Apr 2 09:41:06 EDT 2006

Hi again Robert - thought I'd reply to this e-mail separately,

The Universal Accesibility presentation was actually by Giannis Georgalis (http://www.ics.forth.gr/hci/ua-games/), based on some of the fantastic work going on there with Universal design. Mine and Eric's bit surrounded that which is starting to go up on-line here (http://www.oneswitch.org.uk/2/ARTICLES/physical-barriers.htm).

The Scan and Select software you would be best asking Giannis about directly. In the mean while you may be interested in the following scan and select software which is open source (in the language Pearl): http://www.pvoice.org/ - Might not be ideal for games, but may be handy for ideas.

There are some really helpful, friendly programmers at www.retroremakes.co.uk - who may be able to help you regarding easy game making applications and support.

One fine game, and really nice example of basic scan and select software can be found in "Alice Amazed": http://www.michi.nu/alice/index.php - The programmers kindly allowed their game to be included on the free CD Thomas was distributing, so if you have a copy - it's on there in the One Switch Games folder.

Best of luck, Robert, You're making me want to dust off my creaky programming skills,

Barrie
www.OneSwitch.org.uk