[games_access] starting Accessibility Sig tester contractors? Sparked by killing (Attn: Richard)

d. michelle hinn hinn at uiuc.edu
Sun Apr 2 23:35:55 EDT 2006

Yeah, we probably can't start our own offshoot company within the SIG
since we are more of a lobbying group. And financially we don't have
independence from the IGDA so we can't take payments. And even if we
did have more financial autonomy, we might not legally be able to be
a "company" within an organization. That's probably why Jason gave
some mixed signals about that.

I am starting a game accessibility consulting company (more later
once the ink is dry on the legal documents) but this list probably
isn't the right place to discuss in detail a private company of my
own.

There are lots of possibilities, though, for the GA project that
Richard and Sander are behind, the SIG, Moby Games, etc to all band
together to start some sort of accessibility ratings standard or at
least a way to start adding accessibility info on games in a public
database. This would be something that we, as a SIG, could support
without a doubt because it's more about facilitating information
exchange than about monetary exchange.

Ok, sorry if that didn't make much sense -- I'm really tired at the moment!!
Michelle
Chair, IGDA Game Accessibility SIG