[games_access] Some thoughts on games with CC

Reid Kimball rkimball at gmail.com
Sun Apr 9 15:52:27 EDT 2006

Well, OK, you caught me... or something. 99% of games (with the except
of audio games) are accessible, i.e., playable to a degree for hard of
hearing or deaf gamers.

That doesn't mean the experience is enjoyable though. That doesn't
meant that closed captioning isn't needed. Playing games with
subtitles is more enjoyable than without. Playing with full closed
captioning is even better! I always bring up this example when
explaining why games need closed captioning.

I was playing Max Payne 2 and found myself inside a large Masion
level. I walked up some stairs and there was a single door that was
closed. I walked up to the door to open it, but nothing happened. As I
turned to walk away, suddenly the door flew off its hinges towards me
and killed me instantly.

I was frickin' pissed. I was ready to put the game down and stop
playing. Curse Max Payne! Curse Remedy! Curse 3D Realms! Curse 'em
all!

I calmed down, restarted my last save, which was a fair ways back,
replayed what I had already done so, slightly annoyed at the
repetativeness of it all and made my way back to the door. This time,
I turned up the volume much louder than I had it before. I saved my
game, walked up to the door and listened closely.

I heard voices on the other side of the door, voices that said, "She's
set to blow! Get going!"

The door once again exploded and killed me instantly. "AH HA!" I said
to myself, "There be clues in them whisperin' voices." and from that
moment on, I realized that gaming for someone that is hearing impaired
or deaf can be extremely frustrating and a poor experience because
they can miss out on very important audio clues.

As a developer, I understand the motivations we have when creating a
game. We want to provide the most exhilerating experience possible. We
want to challenge and inspire gamers and do everything in our power to
lessen the negative frustrations of playing a game without making it
too easy. Ignoring closed captioning is to ignore the one of the many
core goals of a game developer, to alieviate frustrations gamers can
have during play.

With all this talk about next generation, there's a push for not only
next gen graphics, but also next gen gameplay. Gameplay is getting
more and more complex as our games mature and provide gamers with
richer experiences. Those multi-layered, in depth gaming experiences
will require the use of closed captioning if a hard of hearing/deaf
gamer is to have the full experience intended by the game designer.

-Reid