[games_access] Retro Remakes 2006 draws to a close...

Reid Kimball rkimball at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 16:19:42 EDT 2006

I second Richard's suggestions. You said the accessibility features
appeared to be easy to implement. I'd like more info from the devs if
they thought that was the case. Do they feel other devs are being lazy
when they don't add these features?

It hard for me not to scold devs for not adding accessibility features.

DVD's used to never add subtitles to their bonus materials, but I'm
seeing that more and more. That's supplemental material that's being
made more accessible! Bravo I say. I also for the first time heard the
visual descriptions for blind people on the Munich DVD. It was
fantastic and nothing like I imagined. I expected it to be boring but
the narrator gave the scenes an added layer of depth because of the
attention to detail. It often mentioned something I didn't see with my
own good eyes. I think it could work in a visual game. Do blind games
use descriptive narrating?

Quake4 has AI teammates that will shout out, "Strogg on the left!"
"Incoming fire ahead!" if I recall correctly. To a player without any
disabilities, this fits the context of the game perfectly, "soldiers
in battle trying to warn teammates of dangers" and to a blind person
it can help orient them, I imagine.

-Reid