[games_access] message to developers at conference

Robert Florio arthit73 at cablespeed.com
Sun Jan 1 21:53:37 EST 2006

This might make a good topic.  I was thinking today getting inspired about my career field game design.  As a new student and quadriplegic artist I get very anxious sometimes just to get creative.  I know Tim suggested some pointers about covering all areas for game developers accessibility issues. Honestly I think games need to be centered directly toward some crowds which is why special adaptive equipment needs to be used and that's why I think developers are not making their games accessible. Making games accessible with some changes might make the game partially accessible but it's still wired for those who can use their thumbs.

I was taking about this the other day very intently still frustrated by many games I can't play and want to be able to play. If I could make the point it seems Tim and others are going to it needs to be stressed that a large-scale needs to be worked on. To cover all the area's blind, limited motion, hearing-impaired, those that cannot speak, and many others.  I catch myself at a cross road wishing I was at the level I want to be at and in the situation to make this big decisions but you guys are going to make these points.  I wish I could be a spokesperson and be there with you. I picture standing next to Bill Gates at a conference someday using his business gestures to talk to the masses about this issue and really seeing a huge market exploded.  What do you think?  Thanks for picking up these pieces some of you might not have disabilities and I cannot know how you got into this situation but it's a very incredible cause.
Robert

www.RobertFlorio.com all about art and game accessibility