[games_access] message to developers at conference

hinn at uiuc.edu hinn at uiuc.edu
Tue Jan 3 00:34:29 EST 2006

Hi Robert --

Basically what we'll be doing at the Game Developers
Conference (the one in March that you applied for a
scholarship to) is not only trying to get the message across
that accessibility needs to happen earlier (much, much
earlier) in the development process and that perhaps there
will be no "universally" accessible game but maybe games that,
say, are accessible for the blind, others for the hearing
impaired, etc. We've talked about coming up with ratings
systems and more in this SIG and so a game that is accessible
for the blind would have a certain symbol on the game
packaging, etc.

For right now, we're focused on getting  our Game Dev
Conference stuff pulled together and what we learned from
participating last year is that mainstream game devs just
don't know how to take the first steps in creating games that
are more accessible. So, for instance, the "top ten" list that
Tim emailed about the other day is one attempt for us to
bridge that gap in understanding that developers have, help
them learn how to start implimenting accessibility features.

However, our day-long session is going to be focused on giving
mainstream developers an idea of what accessible games look,
sound, and play like. Then we'll talk about tailoring to
specific crowds during that session.

So I hope that you'll be able to attend GDC and win that
scholarship that will give you the access to the conference.
And be sure and check out our papers that we've written to
date that are available at www.igda.com/accessibility -- that
might give you a better idea about where we come from as a
special interest group and where we're going. :)

Michelle