[games_access] T-shirt

Barrie Ellis barrie.ellis at oneswitch.org.uk
Wed Jan 11 17:29:49 EST 2006

> What I'm trying to say is that we should avoid to make accessibility
> featured games into a stigma by having a logo that looks like a
> wheelchair, cane or whatever. Although those symbols might be good in the
> short run I think in the long run, we should have a less "disability"
> oriented logo, and focus on enabling gamers of all kinds to have a great
> game experience. I (we?) want the game industry to understand that game
> accessibility is for everyone.

Hmm. In the UK and most of Europe, my understanding is the standard white on
blue symbol of a wheelchair user is of an "Accessible" feature. E.g. an
accessible toilet, or more accessible parking space. There's no stigma
attached to this symbol in the UK to my mind. It's not flawless, but I think
it's widely understood.

As for the T-shirts - I'm not overly worried personally, and to get
something done fairly soon would be best in my oppinion. However, I still
think there should be a pictorial element ideally. There may be dyslexic,
learning disabled, and/or non-English speaking people you walk pass.
Something in pictures would be more likely to grab more people's interest.
(also, all fonts should be easy to read on accompanying text).

Barrie
www.OneSwitch.org.uk