[games_access] The Right Thing vs. The Profitable Thing / GDC T-Shirt

AudioGames.net richard at audiogames.net
Mon Jan 16 16:35:09 EST 2006

Hi,

This is an intersting topic for any future promotional activities as well so
I changed the subject line bit (after which I will get back to the t-shirt).

I personally like the idea of "the right thing to do". But... I have doubts
that it is the "right" angle to approach the game industry. I formed this
opinion after I had several conversations about game accessibility with
professional game companies. It turned out that basically every company I
talked to was first and foremost interested in the economic side of game
accessibility: "how big is the target audience? ", "how much games are sold
to the blind now?", etc. It being "right" ("for mankind, whetever") came
somewhere at the end of the conversation (and often in the form of "good for
the company profile"). I prefer to approach game accessibility from the
point of view best described by a famous IMB quote (on web accessibility):

 "Accessibility is business, not charity"

Like Hollywood, the game industry is an industry and revolves about profit.
Only after profit come issues like "artist creativity" and "accessibility
for charity". I believe that selling the idea that "accessibility =
profitable" is more suitable for the game industry than "accessibility =
right". Although I consider both statements to be correct, of course.

Back to the T-shirt design: I really like the Lady Justice idea a lot and I
think it would make a wonderful image to go with the text. My only 'but' is
this: the image (as how I picture it following your description) seems to me
to be a bit 'judgemental'. This might be a cultural difference and I might
be the only one thinking this, but to me the symbol of Lady Justice refers
to "doing justice", "condemning criminals", etc. Somehow to me , the image
of Lady Liberty holding a game controller seems to refer "doing justice *to*
the 'criminal' game industry".

I would prefer to take the most positive approach possible to address the
game industry, in "their" language. Although it is a personal
interpretation, I feel that the image somewhere could be interpreted as
'offensive' by developers the game industry'. Instead of pointing out what's
right or wrong to the game industry, I think it's better to point out what
possibilities and potential game accessibility has.

Still, it is only a t-shirt we're talking about here. So, for the t-shirt,
you get my vote because I like the idea (and I'm not too shy for a bit of a
confrontation). But I think that for on the long run, a more business-like
approach is more suited.

I am interested of what you think....

Greets,

Richard