[games_access] T-shirt saga + Ageing population stat.

Barrie Ellis barrie.ellis at oneswitch.org.uk
Tue Jan 17 16:43:53 EST 2006

No I envisaged you all with your bellies out, having to talk to people from
inside the sealed up T-shirt(!)

Back on planet earth. Re. The "developers risking loosing large swathes of
their audience" approach. Another stat for our cause from the Guardian (UK):

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/games/archives/2006/01/17/can_the_games_industry_address_an_ageing_population.html
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4608920.stm (previous BBC article)

"I was watching breakfast TV this morning waiting for the Golden Globes
coverage when they ran one of those 'we're all getting really old' stories.
I can't quite recall the figures but apparently in a few years time a
quarter of the UK population will be over 60. The report went on to suggest
that, due to pension shortfalls, we'd all end up working til we're 70 -
probably in B&Q, a retailer that makes it a policy to employ mature and
experienced people who can then spend their final days on Earth misdirecting
customers to the plumbing aisle. I'm not sure what use a clapped out
technology journalist will be to them in 35 years time, but I'm already
penning my application letter.
Anyway, the report got me thinking about videogames and how they're almost
exclusively aimed at young men. Not only does this policy cost the industry
over 50% of its potential market on gender terms alone, but in a few years
time, it's also going to cut out a huge audience on the age side of things
too. I wonder, are forward-thinking publishers already having brain-storming
sessions in order to address the challenge of the grey gamer? Wired.com ran
an article this week on how the ageing population in Japan is bringing about
some major cultural changes. Have Namco, Nintendo, Capcom and Konami et al
caught the zeitgeist?"

Barrie
OneSwitch.org.uk