[games_access] GDC 2007 -- Dream Team Panel

d. michelle hinn hinn at uiuc.edu
Tue Jul 4 18:31:03 EDT 2006

>Are you suggesting that sig members of the accessibility group not
>participate in the game ideas?  If that is what you're thinking I see your
>point members on the judging table level could be really directing them
>showing the contestants what needs to be done this really would work I
>think.  I hope it gets a green light.

Yep, I want the big names like Will Wright, etc to be the contestants
-- that will fill the room if we can pull it off!

>If I can get one of those speaking
>passes I can definitely be there next year that's what I'm planning on.
>Should we get into character I think that would add to more of the
>attractiveness to the whole theme.

Cool -- I'm also putting together the one-day accessibility workshop,
which I hope also gets accepted again. I'm putting in about 5 or 6
proposals. So at any rate I'll put you on both the Accessibility
Arcade and the one day workshop so that you'll get a speaker's pass.

>Perhaps we could represent us just human characteristic traits like Simon,
>the bad guy, but also gamers with physical disabilities and so on but only
>three people.  It still will work I think we should make it funny for sure.
>It sure is going to be hard though I'm imagining sitting up there seeing
>developers come up with ideas if we put a lot of effort into it, researching
>the true need of an accessible came they are approaching it will be obvious
>but if not it will be hard to not come down hard on those and still make it
>feel like a light environment.  How could we do that that's what I am asking
>because I don't want to ruin the mood?  Unless I play that Simon character.

Yeah, that's what I was saying -- we'd have to have Simon be a
kinder, more gentler character! So we could have some funny bits that
weren't offensive but really the idea would be that the panel of
judges would be pointing out the positive first and foremost and then
if there's something that just wouldn't work with regard to
accessibility, we point it out as a "room for improvement" kind of
thing where we suggest workaround ideas rather than telling them that
they have no talent. That would just not work. :)

>Usually in American Idol the audience picks the winner.  Considering the
>judges would be really the only people, considering last year's response,
>who might really know what they're talking about, audience could judge but
>if it is a great design and really accessible and our comments combined I
>think they could do it.  The audience would see the true goal picking the
>real winner.

Yeah, we could flash up the voting guidelines before the
presentations begin and then right before the audience vote. Then one
of us could quickly type up the "top things" the judges mention while
they are saying them, and post those up when we take the vote.

So basically I'm going to put all those in the one day workshop in
the proposal for this so that we have more than enough people to play
out the roles (3 judges, one typist, MC, subs in case something weird
happens, etc. Richard -- got some cool audio for the intro?

>Thanks for keeping us in the loop Michelle you do an excellent job here.

Thanks Robert -- I try! Sometimes it's hard to keep up with it all
but the GDC proposal time is crunch time so I can't miss out! :)

>I'm starting classes again I only have four quarters left to graduate the
>Art Institute online game design.  So why can I start.  July 10 is the cover
>story in my local area as well that was done about me sports reporter.
>Commissioned by Ray Lewis for his two dogs and his action pose he wants to
>auction off to help me raise funds.  Museum opener for soccer arena in
>Baltimore portrait I did and so much more.  I hope to get a copy so everyone
>can see it on my site but it definitely will be a part of the documentary
>I'm working on now.  Of course I talked about game accessibility and they
>filmed me playing my game and I got to go off on talking directly to the
>camera, directly to the people of Maryland that is so crazy.  About game
>accessibility.  Starting to make an impact in Maryland developers contacting
>me open to the idea of me working with them, liking my artwork hearing my
>story, and open to an accessible game which is cool.  Thanks guys for
>helping out as well.

Excellent! That's terrific!

>I need to get more active however on the moderating
>www.game-accessibility.com  gamers with physical disabilities section but
>I'm there when I can.

I think that all of us can relate to work, school, life, etc taking
over -- we do what we can!