[games_access] GDC 2007 -- Dream Team Panel

Robert Florio arthit73 at cablespeed.com
Tue Jul 4 17:53:11 EDT 2006

Are you suggesting that sig members of the accessibility group not
participate in the game ideas?  If that is what you're thinking I see your
point members on the judging table level could be really directing them
showing the contestants what needs to be done this really would work I
think.  I hope it gets a green light.  If I can get one of those speaking
passes I can definitely be there next year that's what I'm planning on.
Should we get into character I think that would add to more of the
attractiveness to the whole theme.

Perhaps we could represent us just human characteristic traits like Simon,
the bad guy, but also gamers with physical disabilities and so on but only
three people.  It still will work I think we should make it funny for sure.
It sure is going to be hard though I'm imagining sitting up there seeing
developers come up with ideas if we put a lot of effort into it, researching
the true need of an accessible came they are approaching it will be obvious
but if not it will be hard to not come down hard on those and still make it
feel like a light environment.  How could we do that that's what I am asking
because I don't want to ruin the mood?  Unless I play that Simon character.

Usually in American Idol the audience picks the winner.  Considering the
judges would be really the only people, considering last year's response,
who might really know what they're talking about, audience could judge but
if it is a great design and really accessible and our comments combined I
think they could do it.  The audience would see the true goal picking the
real winner.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop Michelle you do an excellent job here.
I'm starting classes again I only have four quarters left to graduate the
Art Institute online game design.  So why can I start.  July 10 is the cover
story in my local area as well that was done about me sports reporter.
Commissioned by Ray Lewis for his two dogs and his action pose he wants to
auction off to help me raise funds.  Museum opener for soccer arena in
Baltimore portrait I did and so much more.  I hope to get a copy so everyone
can see it on my site but it definitely will be a part of the documentary
I'm working on now.  Of course I talked about game accessibility and they
filmed me playing my game and I got to go off on talking directly to the
camera, directly to the people of Maryland that is so crazy.  About game
accessibility.  Starting to make an impact in Maryland developers contacting
me open to the idea of me working with them, liking my artwork hearing my
story, and open to an accessible game which is cool.  Thanks guys for
helping out as well.

I need to get more active however on the moderating
www.game-accessibility.com  gamers with physical disabilities section but
I'm there when I can.

Robert Florio
Art Institute online SGA President