[games_access] Develop wrap up?

Barrie Ellis barrie.ellis at oneswitch.org.uk
Mon Jul 24 15:48:17 EDT 2006

Hi Reid, Hi everyone else on the list,

Attendance was low for the show, but explained in part due to confusion over
the dates, and most of the delegates clearing off on Friday morning after
the show party. So, we didn't have the greatest slot - but we did have a
slot.

Amongst the audience was Ernest Adams (www.designersnotebook.com) who showed
much interest in our work, and expressed a desire to include accessible game
design in his future work. He's been in touch already asking for some
pointers.

Others attending inclded a lady working in Virtual Reality linked to anger
management and a few others.

The Accessible Arcade was fun. We had Giannis and Dimitris of UA-Games
(www.ics.forth.gr/hci/ua-games/ ) demonstrating UA-Chess and Access
Invaders. Access Invaders could be played by whistling!

Richard of AudioGames (www.audiogames.net ) and Game-Accessibility.com
(www.game-accessibility.com ) was demonstrating a number of audiogames, such
as Drive.

I (www.oneswitch.org.uk ) had Xbox "Burnout 3" playable with a one handed
controller on a monster screen and sound rig. This game really demonstrated
the need to have reconfigurable controls, due to the cramp it would give
with the fixed layout. I also ran some head tracker compatible games and one
switch games, including Namco's fantastic "Star Trigon" arcade machine from
2002.

The talks were from Michelle Hinn, Jonathan Chetwynd, Barrie Ellis, Eelke
Folmer, Giannis Georgalis, Dimitris Grammenos, Goran Lange, Richard Van Tol
and Thomas Westin. These were all of great interest and turned up some
interesting ideas... of which more later....

Barrie
www.OneSwitch.org.uk