[games_access] RetroRemakes Programmers Q&A 2006: Audio Question

Giannis Georgalis jgeorgal at ics.forth.gr
Thu Jun 1 10:18:59 EDT 2006

Hello,

> http://www.retroremakes.com/forum2/showthread.php?t=6572

> I'm hoping to provide voice cues, especially for menu options, but maybe
> at other points if it's appropriate to the game. Is it preferable to
> have either a male or female voice, or doesn't it matter? My guess would
> be that a higher voice would have more clarity, but if there's a general
> concensus or some actual research, it would be good to know.
>

> Richard, Giannis, Sander, anyone?

I'm not aware of any research on the effect of the tone of the human
voice on clarity, but I saw that the festival TTS engine was mentioned
and I wanted to bring flite (festival-lite) to your attention:

http://www.speech.cs.cmu.edu/flite/

which is much lighter than flite, although it has fewer capabilities and
voices.