[games_access] RetroRemakes Programmers Q&A 2006: Audio Question

AudioGames.net richard at audiogames.net
Thu Jun 1 11:41:18 EDT 2006

Hi,

I would say it depends on many factors. Honestly I don't think that, when it
concerns clearity, a male or a female voice matters. For example: an unclear
English native-speaker mature male slow-speaking voice might still be more
clear than a clear English non-native-speaker teenager fast-babbling female
voice. All depends on the sound spectrum of the whole game at one given
moment during gameplay, clearity of speech, context of when the sound file
is played, etc. etc..
So I would simply test a couple of voices during gameplay and take the best
one.

On another note: my experience with the blind games community is that it
(like the mainstream game community?) consists of more males than females.
When taking this into account, a (hot) female voice might be more effective
to attract and capture more gamers in your game than a boring Dr.Phil voice.

If you use more voices than 1, I suggest you use many different
(contrasting) voices (male + female, old + young, etc.).

Greets,

Richard