[games_access] Font type and sizes in games

Barrie Ellis barrie.ellis at oneswitch.org.uk
Mon Jun 12 03:36:43 EDT 2006

Wondering if people have any thoughts, links to preferred fonts in games,
after this thread:

http://www.retroremakes.com/forum2/showthread.php?t=6608&page=2

"Just to amuse - I used to work for a college that had Comic Sans as the
standard font - we had to type every document in Comic Sans, until we got a
visit from the RNIB... Apparently Comic Sans is one of the worst fonts for
anyone who isn't dyslexic!

Also we were banned from mixing colours in text, because that made things
even worse...

So the moral seems to be make the menu colours and text in games based on
the user's Windows defaults or something. Then they will automatically get
the right mix of colours and characters... I think... "

I mentioned that web-wise, the RNIB (Royal National Institute of the Blind)
have "verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif" as their order of preference on
their web-site, as to how it should display the bulk of text.

Quite a few people spoke of Comic Sans, mentioning that it may be of benefit
to dyslexics - but there was some dispute. I personally don't like it, but
that's from an aesthetic stand point.

Re-scalable fonts will be a tough one I think... But what do you think?

Barrie
www.OneSwitch.org.uk