[games_access] Xbox 360 simplified game controller

Barrie Ellis barrie.ellis at oneswitch.org.uk
Fri Jun 30 09:20:31 EDT 2006

Kotaku gives a litte!

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/microsoft/microsoft-looks-into-simpler-controller-184193.php

From: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=17998

"We've got to bring more people in," says MS exec Xbox boss Peter Moore has
hinted that Microsoft could be working on a simplified game controller
designed to attract new gamers who might be intimidated by traditional
joypads.

At a recent EA Community Event, Moore said the company is looking at "Any
way that we can play and make games easier and more intuitive, that takes
the intimidation factor away from what is a pretty complex device now when
you look at the controller."

"Shoulder buttons, triggers, analog sticks, d-pads - I mean, there's a lot
going on there."

Compare it to the old Atari 2600 joystick, Moore suggested - which
"Everybody could pick up and have some fun with. Clearly I think the Wii is
trying to get back to those days, although when I picked it up I was
surprised how much stuff is on there, and it took me a little while even
then to get going on those things."

But, as he's previously stated many times, Moore is a big fan of the Wii -
and, he added, of "any innovation you can try and do that will make it a
broader reach for games, because as an industry we've got to do that - we've
got to bring more people in."

Moore went on to explain that his 14 year-old daughter loves racing games,
particularly Project Gotham Racing, but "She's frustrated because the button
configurations, the use of triggers... She just doesn't like it".

So is Microsoft looking for a solution to the problem of overly-complex
controllers? Well, "We're doing a lot of stuff there," Moore said - but
"Nothing that we're ready to talk about".

He went on to say that Microsoft is "not going to force anything that is not
going to be intuitive and innovative" - which could suggest that the company
is unlikely to follow in Sony and Nintendo's footsteps by producing a
motion-sensing controller.