[games_access] GDC 2006 Awards!

d. michelle hinn hinn at uiuc.edu
Tue Mar 28 21:02:21 EST 2006

Hi everyone!

Thanks to everyone who helped make GDC 2006 a success for us -- both
those who were there and those behind the scenes in the uber-long
planning for the event who couldn't make it. Next up? GDC Europe!

So I've come up with our very own 1st annual awards ceremony winners
for the SIG. These were chosen by a secret panel of one person who
was unable to sleep during a red-eye flight from San Jose. I'm proud
to present this year's winners -- congrats to all!

Most Dramatic Arrival: Richard and Sander for their groundbreaking
performance in an "oops, the airline has us going to San Jose, COSTA
RICA!!!!!" documentary

Most Dramatic Departure: Michelle for her time-bending performance in
"somehow ending up in Illinois later than Giannis did in Greece"
short film

Most "Braveheart" Moment: "The Right to Fun!" (a.k.a. Thursday
afternoon's roundtable) -- screenplay written by Michelle;
performance by Sander

Most Likely to Secretly be a Canadian Mounty: Kevin for his
cross-border fighting scenes with our neighbors to the north.

Most Likely to Have the Most Embarrassing photo of Michelle: Giannis
in "Watch Michelle ineptly tie Jonathan's hands behind his back
during the accessibility arcade demo during the tutorial"

Best Argument: Michelle and Richard in "Kill PDF" parts one
(Wednesday morning's roundtable) and two (Thursday afternoon's
roundtable) where it was fortunate no one took out their plastic
swords that some company was giving out at the expo.

Best Legal Secrets: Tom in "Whoa, there's a $10k Tax Credit in the US
for Accessibility???"

Most Likely to Need Immediate Legal Counsel: All, the Complete GDC
Ensemble Cast

Best Night to "See and be Seen": Thursday evening; Level 99 party,
CMU party, Fairmont Lobby

Worst Possible Time for a Social Event for the SIG: Friday, 9am

Best Impromptu Musical Written Right After the Friday, 9am SIG Social
Event: "Coffee: A Love Story"

Best Mod Despite what the Judges Thought: Reid for Doom3[cc]

Best Game Despite what the Judges Thought: Eric for Strange Attractors

Best Scholarship Winner: Robert

Best Improv Performance during a Question and Answer Session at an
Overpacked Session: (Tie) Michelle for "Experimental Game Design: The
Nobel Peace Prize" and Reid for "The Game Studies Download: Top Ten
Research Findings"

Most Likely to be in a Future Documentary Film about WiFi in Africa: Goran

Most Brilliant Thing Said in the Last Five Minutes: All; the Complete
GDC Ensemble Cast

Scariest Street Chase Scene Aided by an IPod: Sander in "The Return
of Running Man"

Best Use of Corn Husks: Mo and Kasey in "The Voodoo Doll Adventures"

Most Stories about Teaching Lectures: Kevin for "Project Symbols: An
Exercise in Embarrassing Sleeping Students"

Most Likely to Have Packets of Honey on Hand: Kasey

Most Likely to Consume Packets of Honey: Reid

Most Likely to Confuse Packets of Honey with Mustard: Richard and Sander

Best "Transformers" Imitation: Robert in "Muscle Stretch: The Musical"

Worst Costume Choice: Michelle in "Wow, was this pink scarf that has
been choking me all day a mistake or what?"

Most Photogenic while Sleeping in the Lobby of the Saint Claire
Hotel: Thomas in "Rip Van Winkle Returns"

Best Panic Attack Scene Caused by Airlines: Michelle in "Oh my
God...is anyone going to be in San Jose in time for the Tutorial?"

Best Translation of a Ridiculous Phrase in Greek that Michelle
Somehow Knew: Giannis in "Look, a shooting star"

Best Translation of a Non-Existent Dutch Phrase: Richard and Sander
in "Slecht Stukje"

And...

This year's Best Picture Award Goes to....[drumroll]...

"Unidentified Woman in an, uh, Interesting Pose Whose Picture was
Taped to a Parking Meter with a Windows Mobile Sticker"

Ok, thanks to all the winners! And feel free to add more -- I didn't
go into the "technical awards" so there's plenty of room for more
nominations. And if you don't understand any of the award
categories...see you at GDC Europe where we're sure to come up with
more! :)