[games_access] RobertFlorio catching up. GDC scholars working ongame invitation

Barrie Ellis barrie.ellis at oneswitch.org.uk
Fri May 5 06:28:59 EDT 2006

Re. Universally Accessible game project:

I like the fact that you are always aiming high, Robert. Bear in mind
non-English speaking people, and gamers for which the likes of Penalty!
(http://www.priorywoods.middlesbrough.sch.uk/kidsonly/games/footy/footy.htm
) are about the limit.

Getting the interface right will be quite a challenge. I agree with Richard
too that getting documentation out there on *Game Accessibility Design
Issues* would be so helpful. I wish there was more out there now for the
programmers due to start the new Retro Remakes competition
(www.retroremakes.com ) on the 1st of June.

If the game is to be playable with a single button, I'd recommend following
this basic standard:, which should ensure compatibility with virtually all
switch interfaces:

For PC and Macintosh computers, The SPACE BAR and LEFT MOUSE button should
both function as the default player one control. The default PLAYER TWO
control should be operated via The RETURN key and RIGHT MOUSE button. The
ESCAPE key should function as a way to QUIT.  Again, allow users to
user-define their controls if they wish to break from this standard. All
this should ensure compatibility with vast majority of switch interfaces.

For Head Tracker users the ability to use a mouse alone with 'Dwell
Clicking' (hover about to make a selection) would be great to investigate
too.

Good luck!

Barrie
www.OneSwitch.org.uk