[games_access] Game Accessibility for Learning Disabled Gamers

d. michelle hinn hinn at uiuc.edu
Fri May 5 07:43:43 EDT 2006

one thing that kevin and i talked a bit about at gdc was that i think
that there is a bit of a tricky issue with regard to "learning
disabilities" and "profound learning disabilities." maybe this is
similar to low vision but still able to see with assistance (through
technology, etc) and total blindness? what i mean is there are
disabilities like dyslexia, attention deficit disorder (we can get
counted under learning disabilities -- it is at our university) that
often do not involve lower IQ (they say Einstein was Dyslexic for
instance) and disabilities such as down's syndrome, which result in
lower IQ.

anyway, all the talk lately about learning disabilities had me
thinking about the range of disability and how we need to make sure
we keep in mind that there is this range and clearly define that to
avoid confusing people who hear "learning disabilities" and think
"reading disability" and have things like down's syndrome as a
"cognitive disability."

i'm not an expert on this area but i've noted in the past that some
people differentiate learning vs cognitive disabilities whereas
others consider them to be under the same heading. but i think it's
important for us to note the range when we talk about this issue.

i am, however, an expert in dyslexia by reason of having it myself.
but i never needed any sort of accommodations and it was diagnosed
late (when i was about 22) and i love to read -- go figure! some
would definitely consider me learning disabled because of this but it
does not have an effect on my IQ. it's more, in my mind, a learning
"challenge" that i have pushed through. but i don't consider myself
as a gamer needing particular accessibility features in games but in
most US school systems i would be labeled "learning disabled."

i guess my whole rambling point of this is that we should make sure
we clearly define what we are referring to with this particular list
to avoid confusion. so when we say easier settings and goals, we
should, perhaps, say what types of learning disabilities that this is
most likely to help. i'm not speaking for all people with dyslexia
BUT easier settings and goals would put me to sleep...but at the same
time I recognize that there is a need for this for the profoundly
learning disabled.

anyway....sorry for the early morning babble! :)

michelle