[games_access] Study: Games Effective Teaching Tools

Reid Kimball rkimball at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 20:41:50 EDT 2006

"A one-year study sponsored by Electronic Arts has concluded that
commercial games can be effectively utilized to teach in the
classroom."

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3920&Itemid=2

It appears the study is available for free!
http://www.futurelab.org.uk/research/teachingwithgames/report_01.htm

So, this is where our accessibility issues become hugely important.

I think related, is Warren Spector's new article the The Escapist mag
"Fun is a Four Letter Word". He asks whether we should only be making
games that are "fun". He gives the example of a movie that wasn't fun
to watch, but was thought-provoking. I've read many books like that in
high school and see a need for similar type games used in the
classroom.

Warren's article:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/issue/65/15

-Reid