[games_access] MacArthur Chapter (was: Robert's Biography)

Amit Pitaru [LIST] list at pitaru.com
Wed Oct 25 18:17:42 EDT 2006

[first post was too large.. so I'm reposting]

Lets back up a bit : )

> Actually you aren't the only academic working on accessibility issues and
digital media

Oh dear, I suppose you are referring to my writing this:

'I was surprised to find out that I'm the only one who is directly referring
to Accessibility issues, so I'd like to make the best of it.'

So let me rephrase: I was surprised to find out that I'm the only one
*within the Macarthur book* who is directly referring to Accessibility
issues.

My entire premise for contacting you is that I'm *not* the only academic
working on these issues!

> So I'm wondering how widely the MacArthur foundation went in their search.

Exactly my point. Which is why I extended my reach to this group. I was
hoping that my chapter could serve as a gateway towards prominent work in
the field - namely yours.

I understand your concerns about ownership - and I should have checked into
this up-front. I will now. Please believe me that my goal is not to restrict
anyone, but do the little that I can to point the readers to the right
direction (your direction). In my mind, this little chapter could even help
publicize your upcoming book and create connections with the foundation for
further funding and collaborations.

Before we continue, I'll forward your email to my editor and ask for a
response in writing in regards to everything you raise here.

> So maybe the idea of another group building more forums in yet another
place is causing some confusion amongst members of the list.

Re. the MacArthur forum - it was not my intention to fragment your efforts
(although I see your point!). Macarthur has gone through great length to
invite experts from the fields of education, new media and other sciences
into one forum. When they asked me to suggest experts - I sent them your
emails. I think you could have contributed a lot to the discussions, and
hoped you'd enjoy the multidisciplinary interaction with other experts.

The IP issues didn't even cross my mind. Perhaps it should have! Sorry.

Before my next email - I'll be sure to get all of this in writing from my
editor.

> help us see what specifically you would like to focus on in your chapter
to avoid the chapter overlapping work we're already doing professionally

More on this once the rest clears up! but very quickly -

I'm actually not sure what your book is about either. My chapter is part of
a series that concentrates on New Media, Learning and Youth. The book that
I'm part of deals with digital games and attempts to complexify (is that a
word?) the current discussions on how they affect our youth. My particular
chapter looks at games from the special-needs perspective - considering all
of the above.

When most politicians are concerned with over-exposure of kids to
digital-games, I look at lack-of-play due to accessibility issues, and also
empowerment that games provide to many children with special needs. I
examine how various therapists utilize digital-games to identify problems
and hash them out in therapy. I follow kids in wheelchairs that win
international game championships. I ask - do digital games provide us with
new opportunities in regards to therapy and normalcy? How are they different
from traditional games in that respect?

My argument is that they indeed hold potential for unique benefits, but
unfortunately this potential is rarely reached due to accessibility issues.
Not all games are born the same, and not all could be made accessible. But
there's much that could be done to improve the situation. So I describe what
the 'fixable' issues are, and provide a game-plan for designers, legislators
and gamers towards improving upon this. I advocate to some legislation and
corporate-education on the matter. I end the chapter with suggestion for
more research (which I could have used), and resources for further reading.

Lastly, I hope to include an appendix for designers - showing a step-by-step
adaptation of some games, and by doing so hashing out some of the things
I've learned in the past two years.

So are we working on the same thing? there are probably great similarities,
but I think that our works can feed of each other and create a larger buzz.
I'm so sorry to hear that your work has been used without permission! I
promise that this will never happen here. I will get it in writing before we
continue.

Amit