[games_access] Retro Remakes 2006 Games: The Pyramid

d. michelle hinn hinn at uiuc.edu
Sat Sep 9 16:06:02 EDT 2006

I think that this points to the difficulties in creating an
accessible game that is also an autonomous accessible game -- that
is, a game that requires no set up by another, a game that the gamer
is fully in control of the start of the game, can start the game
themselves, etc. I think that this is a nice example of an honest
attempt at creating as many accessible features as possible.

I think with the amount of user scenarios our there, it's especially
hard for the independent designer to foresee all of them or, perhaps
a designer might have certain assumptions about how a potential
audience will come to play the game that isn't exactly spot on.
That's where user testing comes in -- instead of thinking the user
comes to the game with xyz abilities, test that out on a
representative sample or cast a wider net and try to get an idea of a
more full range or user differences. That's why we need some brave
designers to jump in and give it a go and then, as we're doing here,
figure out the process of discovering the things we didn't think
about -- sure, we'll find some "room for improvement" but at least
now we're really facing the issues at hand.

Ok I think I got a bit off course here but basically this is where
accessibility moves into usability and even that weird area of "user
preferences" -- one gamer may mind very much that they need someone
to set a game up so that it works for them while for another they
don't mind at all or perhaps views it as a cooperative activity
versus a single player experience. But at any rate I laud the efforts
of the designer who I hope (!) will value the feedback on how it can
now be made more accessible.

Great conversation!

Michelle