[games_access] NSF grant for the development of an accessibleclient for secondlife

Barrie Ellis barrie.ellis at oneswitch.org.uk
Tue Aug 7 02:46:27 EDT 2007

Nice one, Eelke. Good work!

From: Eelke Folmer
Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2007 3:09 AM
Subject: [games_access] NSF grant for the development of an accessibleclient for secondlife

Hi folks,

I just received a 90k SGER grant from NSF to explore developing a blind-accessible client for Secondlife. A proposal I have been working on for quite some time. This grant will allow me to hire some more grad students and help us get a better insight in what can make virtual communities/3d games more accessible to a variety of disabilities.

I've been secretly working on an accessible client myself the last few months and I developed a prototype which can be controlled using voice (its mac only for now) and provides some minimum voice output. I will release a prototype within the next few weeks, and I'm hoping you some of you can provide me with feedback.

The NSF program director that I contacted prior to submitting my proposal is very very nice and interested in games & accessibility. His feedback & support was very helpful in securing the grant, and I hope this proposal will open up opportunities for us all to submit grants to NSF in the future; helping people with disabilities play games & gain a better understanding of what exactly makes games accessible. I think there is still lots to be discovered.

Cheers Eelke

--
Eelke Folmer Assistant Professor
Department of CS&E/171