[games_access] NSF grant for the development of an accessible client for secondlife

Eelke Folmer eelke.folmer at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 22:09:19 EDT 2007

Hi folks,
I just received a 90k SGER grant from NSF to explore developing a
blind-accessible client for Secondlife. A proposal I have been working on
for quite some time. This grant will allow me to hire some more grad
students and help us get a better insight in what can make virtual
communities/3d games more accessible to a variety of disabilities.

I've been secretly working on an accessible client myself the last few
months and I developed a prototype which can be controlled using voice (its
mac only for now) and provides some minimum voice output. I will release a
prototype within the next few weeks, and I'm hoping you some of you can
provide me with feedback.

The NSF program director that I contacted prior to submitting my proposal is
very very nice and interested in games & accessibility. His feedback &
support was very helpful in securing the grant, and I hope this proposal
will open up opportunities for us all to submit grants to NSF in the future;
helping people with disabilities play games & gain a better understanding of
what exactly makes games accessible. I think there is still lots to be
discovered.

Cheers Eelke

Eelke Folmer                           Assistant Professor
Department of CS&E/171
University of Nevada              Reno, Nevada 89557
Game interaction design        www.helpyouplay.com