[games_access] College Choices...help?

Ben Sawyer bsawyer at dmill.com
Tue Aug 7 14:57:15 EDT 2007

I know a couple of the RIT people and they're good professors but
they're CS focused which I agree with Eelke is critical.  Many many
publishers are focusing on top CS programs and not these "game design
schools" for their grads.  RIT has good respect among the people in
the industry I deal with.

For NYC NYU has a good CS program and Ken Perlin who is there is a
major presence in the game-academic/game-industry space.  In terms of
NYC companies good luck.  Kaos Studios and GameLab are the two
biggest but they're looking for good experienced people.  A foot in
the door is possible if you can show an exciting resume.  Koas is a
THQ owned studio and GameLab is an independent.

- Ben

On Aug 7, 2007, at 2:52 PM, Eelke Folmer wrote:

> Hi DJ Bono,
>
> With people only lasting about 5 years in the game industry before
> they burn out I would strongly suggest going to a good school that
> just has a very good CS program. Its much easier to get a job in CS
> with a bachelor in CS than it is with a bachelor in some
> specialized game program.
>
> Cheers Eelke
>

> On 8/7/07, DJ Bono <ladysekhmet.dj at gmail.com > wrote:Hello everyone,
>
>      I need a bit of help. I would like to go to a college that
> offers Bachelor's degree in Game Design/Media. My problem
> is...WHERE? As you can see on this link, http://www.igda.org/
> breakingin/resource_schools.php, that there's just way too many
> choices.
>     I wanted to contact the big companies, Atari, Nintendo, EA,
> etc, but there's no "contact" info for people who I can talk to
> about getting involved, and give me some help in choosing a good
> college.
>     Right now I go to a county college, and I'm not too happy with
> their program as it's too easy, and most likely will NOT prepare me
> for anything, hence why I need the change.
>     I am thinking about going to RIT again, but their program is
> fairly new. Can anyone give me some help?
> If there's a GOOD program available in NYC, that is a plus.
> Relocation is not really a big problem for me. I just can't move
> until NEXT Aug.
>     Also, does anyone know of a good company based in NYC? I'm
> trying to see if I can get my foot in the door...
> I just feel a little lost here...
>
> DJ

> --
> ------
> Eelke Folmer                           Assistant Professor
> Department of CS&E/171
> University of Nevada              Reno, Nevada 89557
> Game interaction design        www.helpyouplay.com

Ben Sawyer
Digitalmill, Inc.
Two Custom House Wharf