[games_access] Blog: Top 3 Top 3 and IGDA GASIG Awards Ceremony 2008

Barrie Ellis barrie.ellis at oneswitch.org.uk
Sun Dec 2 03:38:05 EST 2007

Feeling guilty - I've tweaked the IGDA GASIG blog to feature a "Blog Topics" area - which will be expanded later. I liked the look of the awards area... and thought - this is obvious, but... Why don't we start our own awards ceremony? It would be a bit of fun - and not too much work to start with I recon.

Why don't we start recognising the games that have got some good accessibility features built in? We could keep nominations simple - and awards being a nice e-mail from us to the winners - any other interested press - and of course mention on our blog + site.

Maybe:

Best pointer based game (for head-tracker / eye-tracker / touch-screen gamers).
Best audio game.
Best one switch game.
Best use of closed captions / subtitling.
IGDA GASIG historical award (great games from the past).
IGDA GASIG special award.
IGDA GASIG best of 2008.

??

Anyway - I've also set-up a "Top 3 Accessibility Features" section for particular game genres: http://gameaccessibility.blogspot.com/search/label/Top%203

Pinball, Golf, Driving games covered at present. I'd appreciate people's thoughts, and also on any suggestions of companies to contact once we have a basic consensus. I realise there's lots of things not covered - this is not the point - it's to try and get some of the simplest concepts with the lowest potential overheads to the people making games (indies, home coders, mainstream - anyone!).

This stuff stands on the shoulders of everyone's work so far - so please don't think I'm claiming this as my baby. It's not. It's ours - so help us to make it useful... Perhaps we should get a standard e-mail drafted (with further links for more help as it stands presently - e.g. Eelke's design patterns - Game-Accessibility.com - our forum? our mailing list and so on....

Enough from me today I think...

Barrie
www.OneSwitch.org.uk