[games_access] no more controllers!

Eelke Folmer eelke.folmer at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 16:55:01 EST 2007

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/12/18/intel-predicts-camera-powered-controller-free-game-system/

Don't know if this really the way the industry should be heading.
Don't get me wrong I like the wii-mote but playing super mario galaxy
for 3 hours straight is way more exhausting than playing lets say
assassin's creed I've noticed lately. Chris Crawford's CC on game
design's book has a nice chapter that draws parallels between playing
games and playing sports and points out that because we limit
ourselves to a controller that only requires some thumb action, rather
than elaborate physical actions like swinging a bat, gamers can
achieve much higher levels of performance relatively than athletes
could, as their muscles wear out faster when you play for a few hours.

Cheers Eelke

Eelke Folmer                           Assistant Professor
Department of CS&E/171
University of Nevada              Reno, Nevada 89557
Game interaction design        www.helpyouplay.com