[games_access] Games for people with cerebral palsy

InRNette at aol.com InRNette at aol.com
Sun Feb 25 07:15:56 EST 2007

Robert:

Yes, we have messaged before.  I am one of the groups quiet  members.  I have
been watching the groups progress since I joined.

I use for my students to access the computer:

RJ Cooper's Switch Hopper (USB interface)
_Special Education Software, Hardware and  Assistive Technology Products -
Special Needs Children and Special Ed Learning  Resou.._ (http://rjcooper.com/)

Enable Mart Big Red Switch, Jelly Bean Switch, Finger Switches,  etc.
(Ablenet is undergoing an update on their website)
_Enablemart -  EnableMart.Com - Switch Solutions_
(http://enablemart.com/default.aspx?store=10&dept=23)

The young people that I work with are homebound because they simply cannot
attend either a partial day or full day program because there needs are best
met  at home or in a hospital. Currently we are trying to find a means of
communication for a young man who suffered a traumatic brain injury in-utero  (His
Mom was shot for the money and tips as a pizza delivery person), is a quad
requiring total care for activities of daily living, loves watching old TV
shows, responds and smiles appropriately. We have worked low tech for  him and we
know that he is able to make choices with his eyes.  The  teacher contacted us
a couple of months ago because his care  giver pulled out two switches and
the positioning equipment that an  agency had purchased and never follow through
on. Not knowing what he could  do with these switches, we positioned them
like the  care giver indicated then I popped into the computer just a cause and
effect piece of software by RJ Cooper......if looks could slap me, I would
have been on the ground.  We moved on very rapidly to another of  Coopers demo
downloads called "Battle of the gods" (I think)  and the look was replaced with
completely different look that allowed me to  continue standing. (A battle
with the gods sure beat out the frog sticking his  tongue out to catch a fly
hands down.)

Your site has grown tremendously.  I will be passing the link on to  our
other AT Consultants and teachers we encounter.

When I say age appropriate, I need simple cause and effect software that an
older student would be able to use that allow them to progress from the
beginning to as far as they can go.  Cause and effect software that we have  found
up until now have been considered juvenile for our teens hurt in an  accident
with cognitive awareness that surpasses their ability to express  themselves.

Hope this helps explain what I am looking for.

Jeanette
http://www.aol.com.