[games_access] Sorry for absence- question about the use of AI techniques for developing adaptive, accessible games, question/comment about Wii

lynnvm at carolina.rr.com lynnvm at carolina.rr.com
Sun Jan 7 08:52:15 EST 2007

Happy New Year!

Sorry for not interacting much on this listserv lately.   I was very busy
with work, school, and travel.
(For those of you who don't know me, I'm Lynn Marentette.  I live in
Charlotte, N.C.  I'm a female school psychologist who has been taking
computer classes for the past few years part-time, including some game
classes, programming, VR, and educational technology. I've worked with
students with a range of disabilities.  Currently I work in a special
program for students who have multiple or severe disabilities, including CP
and autism.)

AI
I recently finished a class last semester -"Artificial Intelligence for
Interactive Game Development".  Although the class was often a bit over my
head, I learned so much!  I believe that AI techniques have potential for
facilitating accessibility in games. I'd like to know if anyone is doing
work or research in this area.  I know AI techniques are used in educational
games to adapt to learner progress, but I couldn't find much information
about accessibility.
If I won the lottery, the first thing that I would do would be to hire some
of the computer programming whizzes from my class to work on this aspect of
game development.

Wii
I bought a Wii with my 23 year-old daughter for Christmas and I love it!
Since I haven't read many of the Games Access posts lately,  I am not sure
if there was a discussion about the Wii and accessibility.  After playing
with the Wii for a while, I started to think that it has many possibilities
for accessibility as well as rehabilitation.  Does Nintendo have anyone that
is responsible for accessibility?
I did read about the guy who programmed his Wii remote controller to control
his Roomba vacuum cleaner. (I think there is a video clip on YouTube)
That got me thinking about some possibilities. At any rate, I'd like to find
out more about what is going on with the Wii and accessibility and how the
controllers can be modified.

Lynn Marentette

 <http://techpsych.blogspot.com/> TechPsych
 <http://interactivemultimediatechnology.blogspot.com> Interactive