[games_access] Thinking about GDC 08's competition

AudioGames.net richard at audiogames.net
Fri Jun 1 04:44:42 EDT 2007

Hi,

"ax" - I just missed it, didn't see it when I scanned the text ;)

1) Deaf and Blind: this is one of the biggest challenges of them all. In
that respect, I would not use it for GDC, because of the severe limitations
you put the designers in. Same goes for severe learning disabled gamers.
Although I was of the opinion I had a pretty good view I could design
something creative, fun and fresh for this target group, time and time I was
disappointed by yet another limitation (not a game project, mind)

2) Helen Keller: like the angle of a famous person, but I prefer a living
person instead (who could be there at GDC too)? Also see my comments above
and my idea below.

3) Red/Green Light with audience signs: it sounds like "work". Not to
immediately bash the idea, but I guess that the past has shown that we are
all very limited in resources/time so I would prefer to do something with as
little (analog) assets as possible ;) I like the theme, though, as it fits
the industry.

Another idea, kinda based on my earlier post: When looking at universal
accessible game design notice how information is adapted between the various
media. Those present in Brighton may remember my Scott Kim-comment, on how
"games" could be considered to be a transmedial phenomonon (also see
writings of Jesper Juul). What would you think of the angle of:

"Develop ONE Game that is equally fun in THREE types of media: visuals only,
sound only, tactile only"

It needs a better description and some tweaking (which media exactly? maybe
scent only, analog medium only, etc.). But where I guess the fun part is, is
to experience the same game (play) in three different appearences (so only
visuals, only sound, only tactile). Such a challenge could be a perfect
example to show the different design considerations while trying to make one
game accessible for people who cannot perceive certain media (blind, deaf,
deaf/blind). This is kind of like the same assignment as "make one game that
is equally fun for the blind, the deaf and the deaf/blind", but by turning
it around and focusing on the output media instead, it becomes a whole lot
more fun (in my opinion).

Another idea:

"Design a multiplayer co-operative game for a deaf, a blind, a physically
impaired AND a learning disabled gamer"

Infocom once had an adventure game called Suspended
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspended), in which the player had to control
several types of robots, each with their own unique abilty:

    * Iris - The only robot with visual sensors, Iris can provide visual
descriptions of locations and objects. As the game begins, however, Iris has
suffered a burnt-out microchip and cannot see. Iris is confined to the area
surrounding the Central Chamber.
    * Whiz - The most technical robot, Whiz is used mainly for interfacing
with a central library computer for historical and technical information.
    * Waldo - The most capable physical manipulator, with several limbs for
grasping and holding objects. Waldo perceives the world using sonar. (The
term "Waldo" was originally coined by Robert A. Heinlein to describe
teleoperated robots.)
    * Auda - Auda is equipped with sensitive audio receptors and can provide
information on sounds and vibrations.
    * Poet - A diagnostic robot, Poet can sense the flow of electricity; he
tends to communicate in somewhat cryptic language.
    * Sensa - Sensa is specialized for the detection of magnetic and photon
emissions.

So basically, Iris is the only one who sees, Waldo is the only one who can
grab things, Auda is to only one who can hear, etc. In Suspended
(text-adventure) the player had to control them all. So think of designing a
game that Iris, Waldo and Auda could all play together, assisting one
another during play, working together towards winning the game? Although
this is quite a strict definition already, I would be interested in how a
designer would make this work, both with the interface as well as the game
concept.
Btw: I thought of this concept when I read about the idea of sighted users
leading blind-users through Second Life, as a guide. Helping each other out
in a co-op game could prove to be a new kind of game accessibility?

What do you think?

K... I'm away again, speak with you in a week...

R Out