[games_access] Michelle's annoyance...:-)

Eelke Folmer eelke.folmer at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 14:29:08 EDT 2007

Hi,

one way to add closed captions would be using Louis von Ahn peekaboo
method. E.g. a coop game where you show like 10 seconds of video and
you have to type in what is being said. If it matches than you caption
that part of the video with the found caption file. He also developed
CAPTCHA and you could use that technique also to either help
captioning of videos or recognizing scanned text.

cheers Eelke

On 6/1/07, Charles Jackson <cataclysmicknight at gmail.com> wrote:
> While I'm not deaf, I'm nearly deaf in one ear, although that's not
> the point either LOL. I live with my wife, and we sit side by side
> with our laptops (nerdy, eh?) while watching TV. This means that if I
> want to check out a youtube video or something, I have to do the same
> thing - put on some crappy headphones and listen, totally ignoring my
> wife. I haven't played a web game with sound in years, which sucks for
> when you have to put your own sound in a game.
>
> Sorry - point is, I think there are a lot of people that would love to
> see more things CC-ed. I'm the type that likes to have CC on TV all
> the time, and likes to read along with things. My daughter is
> partially learning to read from CC on her cartoons, and lots of others
> have done the same.
>
> You go CC!! :) Sorry for the ramble :)
>
> --
> Crush the Critters: a Whack-a-Mole adventure for your feet!
>
> The Game's Home Page: http://www.hedonismgames.com
>
> On the Great Games Experiment:
> http://www.greatgamesexperiment.com/game/crushthecritters/

Eelke Folmer                           Assistant Professor
Department of CS&E/171
University of Nevada              Reno, Nevada 89557
Game interaction design        www.helpyouplay.com