[games_access] Michelle's annoyance...:-)

Tess Snider malkyne at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 18:53:48 EDT 2007

On 6/1/07, Robert Florio <arthit73 at cablespeed.com> wrote:
> Putting the text readable is a really long process I'm imagining.  I will
> have to keep that in mind to have two versions of my documentary one with
> readable text.

This depends on whether you plan to provide it in a streaming format
or not.  If you provide it non-streaming, you don't need to do
hard-captioning, and you don't need a second version.

If you're making a DVD, you can provide either closed captioning data
or pre-rendered SDH (Subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing).  CC
is falling out of vogue for DVDs, both because it's an aesthetic mess,
and also, because it's not part of the spec for high-def DVDs.  Like
other types of DVD subtitles, SDH are usually pre-rendered overlays.

If this is for downloadable web distribution, you can use "soft"
captioning.  Like closed-captioning, this is a non-pre-rendered data
format, containing text and time codes.

Here's an example of a program you can use to edit soft-captions:
http://www.jubler.org/index.html

If you want any help with this stuff, please let me know.  It's
something I've been wanting to learn to do, since I do some film stuff
on the hobby side.

Tess