[games_access] Thinking about GDC 08's competition

Eelke Folmer eelke.folmer at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 18:46:05 EDT 2007

Hi,

On Jun 1, 2007, at 1:44 AM, AudioGames.net wrote:

> Btw: I thought of this concept when I read about the idea of

> sighted users leading blind-users through Second Life, as a guide.

> Helping each other out in a co-op game could prove to be a new kind

> of game accessibility?

I was thinking about that the other day, but then in the context of
World of Warcraft. What if a blind user in WoW would automatically
start out as a level 60 wizard able to cast very powerful spells but
requiring voice input& guidance from other party members? (assuming
this player belongs to a party). Other party members would
automatically try to protect this player as its very handy to have
such a powerful wizard in your party. This way a kind of symbiotic
relationship is created which is fair.

Cheers Eelke

> What do you think?

> K... I'm away again, speak with you in a week...

> R Out

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "d. michelle hinn" <hinn at uiuc.edu>

> <games_access at igda.org>

> Sent: Friday, June 01, 2007 3:53 AM

> Subject: Re: [games_access] Thinking about GDC 08's competition

>> Heh -- this was probably a lost in translation/bad explanation on

>> my part bit -- the "ax the reality show thing" was meant to mean

>> don't do a game show thing at all!

>> We "can't" use design challenge...but that doesn't stop us from

>> coming pretty darn close to the same words...errr...Challenge:

>> Design! ;)

>> Another idea I had was...design for Helen Keller...now doing

>> something accessible for the deaf AND blind...now that is a

>> challenge...and the person that can design something cool around

>> that will help solve the catch 22 issue where doing something that

>> helps the deaf might mess up something for the blind with regard

>> to accessibility. This also puts us in more competition with Eric

>> Z and his poetry/peace prize/needle and thread challenges...

>> I was also thinking that the person should be able to also play it

>> with non-disabled friends...perhaps over the top? But still...the

>> social aspect of gaming is SO important.

>> I *REALLY* want to give the challenge another try because I think

>> we're onto something -- we just need to rethink it! And I want our

>> sessions to be fun -- we don't have to be comedians (as we know

>> now...we're not) to create a couple hour long presentations.

>> And...(now back to game shows, only different)

>> I also like the "Translation: Accessibility" idea where we have a,

>> for example, what closed captioning means for the non-hearing

>> impaired. Eelke -- perhaps since you put the article out on

>> Gamasutra, you'd like to lead some kind of session on this that is

>> also SIG sponsored? Perhaps it could be more than a lecture -- did

>> you see Microsoft's "usability game show" at CHI in Austria? We

>> could toss out some fun prizes to those that come up with

>> something not on the list -- that way the audience is more

>> engaged. I can see this as a high energy and fun, engaging session.

>> OK...More ideas!!!

>> Michelle

>>> Hi,

>>> I agree with all of the competitors advice. I would also like to

>>> add "no game show theme next time"? A theme is good, but

>>> something cool, not corny? Michelle, I like all of your

>>> suggestions so far. I would prefer to have a good, 3rd party host

>>> and Raph seems like a good person for that. And I guess fitting

>>> in his own entry is cool?

>>> But, ok, what still seems missing is:

>>> 1) theme / title of the design challenge. Can we still use

>>> "design challenge" in the title?

>>> 2) basically along with the theme, the target impaired audience?

>>> Our options are:

>>> - game for one specific game handicap

>>> - game for a game handicap of choice

>>> - game for one out of a selection of game handicaps (the list we

>>> make)

>>> But maybe we can try something completely different/less obvious

>>> instead. As I read Eelke's (excellent) Gamasutra article today, I

>>> was thinking about handicaps caused by impairments and the same

>>> handicaps not caused by impairments. Example: deaf gamers

>>> encounter the same problems as gamers in a loud environment (LAN

>>> party/mother vacuming/arcade/on the train) as gamers that play a

>>> mobile game and intentionally turn the sound off. Another one is:

>>> gamers with parkinson encounter the same problem as gamers on a

>>> plane with turbulence. Another one is: gamers trying to play with

>>> a DS or a PSP in a sunny environment (as I tried in the Dominican

>>> Republic for 2 weeks) encounter the same problem as visually

>>> impaired gamers. etc. etc. For more examples, see Eelke's article.

>>> Maybe we could make sort of a game-handicap list, where each

>>> problem is linked to both a bodily impairment *and* a likely

>>> situation that a non-impaired gamer can also encounter. So the

>>> parkinson/airplane disability (although there's probably also the

>>> gamer with parkinson on a plane with turbulence-disability). This

>>> is also where we could can some fun in, for instance:

>>> disability: game speed is to fast

>>> people who encounter this issue: gamers with a physical

>>> impairment that does not allow for fast reactions, hippies

>>> disability: cannot hear game audio

>>> people who encounter this issue: deaf gamers, grannies, gamers

>>> who visited Ozzfest 2007

>>> Err... ?

>>> And I guess I still want Hugh Heffner to showcase his Playboy

>>> Mansion game to see how well he handles the controls at his age.

>>> And I like celebrity handicapped people: Michael J Fox showing

>>> how he plays with the DS having Parkinson?

>>> Just some random thought. Next please!

>>> Ries

>>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "d. michelle hinn"

>>> <hinn at uiuc.edu>

>>> <games_access at igda.org>

>>> Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2007 11:11 PM

>>> Subject: [games_access] Thinking about GDC 08's competition

>>> games_access mailing list

>>> games_access at igda.org

----
Eelke Folmer Assistant
Professor
Department of Computer Science & Engineering/171
University of Nevada Reno, Nevada 89557
Game Quality usability|accessibility.eelke.com
----