[games_access] We must get data sooner than later

Brannon Zahand brannonz at microsoft.com
Thu May 3 15:04:44 EDT 2007

http://www.ilr.cornell.edu/edi/disabilitystatistics/index.cfm

I just discovered this yesterday. It is incredible!

As for discussing costs of implementing features, it's hard to come up with exact numbers. However, I've been using a few arguments when people give me the "It's Not Cost Effective" speech...

1) If planned on early enough, the amount of work it takes to add basic accessibility features (such as CC, customizable controls, ability to control text size, etc.) is relatively minimal.
2) For larger publishers, this code can often be written once and then reused in other titles with minimal effort.
3) Below is a quote from a research report Microsoft commissioned. You can make the case that this applies to games on the PC and that it is highly probably that it applies to console games as well...

"The study also determined that the use of accessibility features was not restricted to people with disabilities. Among computer users who use built-in accessibility options and utilities: 32% have no disability or impairment." -A Research Report Commissioned by Microsoft Corporation and Conducted by Forrester Research, Inc., in 2004

-Brannon