[games_access] We must get data sooner than later

Thomas Westin thomas at pininteractive.com
Thu May 3 15:13:53 EDT 2007

Hi Reid,

there is an overview of statistics in our first white paper from 2004

here is a quote from the white paper (page 10-11):

Scope of the Problem
Having seen some of the categories of people in need of accessible
games, the next question is “how widespread is the problem?” Are we
talking about a large number of people?

Statistics

Fortunately, there are statistics available from a variety of sources
on the number of people with disabilities. Based on the US Census
Bureau’s data [10] from 1997 for people 15 years old or older, the
following results were seen:

Level of Disability

Category
Number
Percentage
No disability
160,124,000
77.0
Severe disability
30,714,000
14.8
Not severe disability
17,221,000
8.2
Total population
208,059,000
100.0

77% of the people considered themselves to not be disabled. Of the
remaining amount, this means that almost 48,000,000 people in the
United States consider themselves disabled.

Types of Disability

The following table shows a breakdown of the disability types
10 IGDA Game Accessibility SIG igda.org/accessibility

Type
Number
Percentage
Visual – Severe
1,768,000
0.8
Visual – Not severe
5,904,000
2.8
Auditory – Severe
832,000
0.4
Auditory – Not severe
7,134,000
3.4
Mobility – Severe
14,698,000
7.1
Mobility – Not severe
10,441,000
5.0
Learning disability
3,451,000
1.7
Other mental disability
(dementia, mental retardation, other unspecified)
6,657,000
3.2
Other disabilities
(Speech)
2,270,000
1.1
Total
53,155,000

Note that the total is larger than expected since some people fall
under multiple categories and will be counted for each on them.
Based on the above table, it’s clear the group with mobility issues
is the largest, followed by auditory, visual and learning
disabilities. The other point is the size of the group that could
have potential accessibility issues with games.
In addition to the data cited above, there are a variety of studies
compiled by the United Nations that can be accessed at http://
unstats.un.org/unsd/disability/. Based on the data provided, it
appears that between 10% and 20% of the people in a country can be
considered disabled. Information from the W3C [11] seems to confirm
this conclusion. In Sweden for instance, two sources say 20 percent
of the working population (16 to 64 years old) have a disability or
limiting condition. A third source say 10 percent of the total
population are disabled.[14] Sweden has a population of 9 million
people.

Thomas Westin
VD / CEO

Pin Interactive AB
:: Digital Culture Analysis :: Tools :: Worlds
Award Winning Developer
www.pininteractive.com