[games_access] Game Accessibility Conference

Thomas Westin thomas at pininteractive.com
Mon May 21 11:56:54 EDT 2007

Hi

> So I've mentioned this before but we should probably start
> discussing it for real. The IGDA would like to support our efforts
> in creating a one-day conference on Game Accessibility. Now this
> could be something attached to another conference (like GDC) or on
> it's own as a "summit" at a time where we aren't so frazzled from GDC.

Great news!

it might be wise to not having it during GDC where visitors are
distracted by so many other events

Perhaps a European conference? Amsterdam, Athens, London or Stockholm
are locations / countries where the SIG is already represented in
some way (did I forget anyone?)

  I think London would be best from a strategic point-of-view as UK
has a lot of game developers and London is more accessible (in flight
terms) than Stockholm.

> This is one of the things I'll be bringing up at the online
> meetings this week so I'd appreciate ideas for location, dates, how
> wide we cast the net (ie, do we personally court a person from
> every major game company we can to attend), do we want it to be
> small the first year and then cast the net wider the next year?

Dates: just make sure it doesn't be in conflict with other major
events such as all the GDCs, SGS, E for All, Nordic Game etc. For
some of the upcoming events check
http://gamasutra.com/php-bin/calendar.php

Personally I'd prefer if we can have it after we have the book ready;
until then I think we (at least II) have too much too think of to
focus on running a conference. Perhaps in May 2008?

By the way, I'll probably present at Dreamhack in June, the world's
largets LAN. 10.000 game crazy kids gather from all over...
Statistically some of should have on or another disability so I'll
make sure they hear about us.
www.dreamhack.se

> What are your thoughts? Basically the IGDA now has a group that
> does conference/summit set ups for us so we tell them what we want
> and they deal with the registration, hotel block reservations,
> venue, some advertising, etc. So that's what make it's a very cool
> opportunity!

Wow!

/Thomas

Thomas Westin
VD / CEO

Pin Interactive AB
:: Digital Culture Analysis :: Tools :: Worlds
Award Winning Developer
www.pininteractive.com