[games_access] Commodity blowing interface

Tim Chase agdev at thechases.com
Tue Nov 13 10:45:28 EST 2007

This crossed my plate this morning and thought it might be of
interest to folks here on the list(s):

http://www.hackaday.com/2007/11/12/blowable-computer-interface/

I mirrored a copy on my website

http://tim.thechases.com/blow_ui.pdf

as it was getting pounded and took forever to download the
original. I haven't gotten a chance to watch the video as it too
was taking forever+1 to download.

Abstract: using a standard built-in laptop microphone, these
developers have managed to get a modestly accurate interface
wherein you blow at places on your screen and it determines where
you blew based on the sound fingerprint.

I'm not sure I'd want to use this for an interface to a twitch
game, as you'd have spittle all over the screen and end up
passed-out from hyperventilation, but it's got possibilities for
accessible gaming or at least novel interfacing.

-tim