[games_access] Research questions about games helping veterans

Barrie Ellis barrie.ellis at oneswitch.org.uk
Sun Nov 18 06:11:24 EST 2007

I am very anti-war - and really don't like a lot of the hyper-realistic FPS
a lot of these soldiers seem to like playing reading reports. These are
pretty nasty games in my eyes. Give me Uo Poko any day of the week. This
said, I'd happily see Department of Defence money taken for building
accessible controllers for giving people some fun who can't otherwise. Do
you think this is likely to happen? What might be the best approach?

I have had a few people approach me stating that they are supporting soliers
that have lost limbs, mostly looking towards one handed controllers as a
solution to gaming. If we could get the DragonPlus RPG DuoCon2 one-handed
controller back into production, this would aid a lot of one armed gamers.
Unfortunately, we'd need to have to guarantee a lot of sales
(http://www.ncsxshop.com/cgi-bin/shop/SAM-PS2RDC2.html - National Console
Support suggest 20,000 sales) to see this likely to happen.

Although Ben Heck seems to be having some success in getting a one-handed
controller manufactured:
http://gameaccessibility.blogspot.com/2007/10/access-controller-finds-manufacturer.html -
It does not look to be the ideal solution for all.

Barrie
www.OneSwitch.org.uk