[games_access] Research questions about games helping veterans

hinn at uiuc.edu hinn at uiuc.edu
Sun Nov 18 13:09:19 EST 2007

I know I get all the acronyms mixed up -- and I was born in raised in DC! -- so thanks for the advise, Mark! Mark and I had an email discussion the other night about this so I really feel like we're at a place of convergence with thinking about disabled veterans. I think Ben may know of some other opportunities that do include the DOD but I believe that the VA is a definite opportunity.

All of my calls from the military have been from the VA -- I think that the DOD seems to be more interested in games that get people recruited for and trained for military service but I could be entirely wrong -- as Mark mentioned, the DOD is concerned with stabilization of injured veterans but they are not about long term care. This is just the reality of how different branches of government are broken down.

The VA definitely gets us -- and it doesn't matter if you are pro or con the current world military situation...at least in my opinion. The issue is that we have people that have been hurt and not being helped (no matter what the reason) and that is not OK. The VA does a tremendous job but they need our help and they are a friendly audience.

Michelle