[games_access] Hi, Steve, all

Lynn Marentette lynnvm at carolina.rr.com
Sun Nov 18 16:29:06 EST 2007

Steve,

How are you doing?   Do you remember me from the 2005 Serious Games Summit?
It looks like you've been up to some very exciting things!

To all:

I'm interested in looking at ways to involve the community in the mission of
this SIG.  In my community, Charlotte, N.C., our public library system has a
director of emerging technologies. He is the person that got the "Gaming at
the Library" program off of the ground throughout our county.   The library
branch where he's located also has a large number of accessible computers.
His name is Matt Gullet- he's also responsible for the library's involvement
in Teen Second Life.

 (Since I'm taking HCI-related courses, I'd like to use the library as a
"real-life" place to conduct user-centered design and usability studies.)

Since we all live in different regions, it would be great if we each could
find out what is going on in our local areas- for example.   Science museums
might also be a good resource, since they often have exhibits about health,
the human body, and technology.

The director of science education at Discovery Place in Charlotte used to be
one of my daughter's high school science teachers, and I'm planning on
calling him soon.

I think I posted previously that we might want to consider a "think
globally, act locally" strategy in our efforts.

Another local resource might be the community college and university folks
who are teaching game-development/design courses, as well as their students.
Some students are required to do some form of community service project, so
there might be volunteers right in our own backyards.

TechPsych  <http://techpsych.blogspot.com/>
Interactive <http://interactivemultimediatechnology.blogspot.com>
Multimedia Technology