[games_access] Research questions about games helping veterans

Thomas Westin thomas at pininteractive.com
Tue Nov 20 01:16:02 EST 2007

a twist on this would be to use games for Iraq civilian refugees too
- Sweden receives 50% of all Iraq refugees in Europe so Sweden could
be a good starting point for such development. Sweden gets about 5
million USD from the EU for this.

This way Iraq civilians and soldier vets can meet and learn to know
each other in a game.

Also, learning English through chatting in a game could be one way to
reach at least the young refugees, and help them integrate in the
European society.

/Thomas

18 nov 2007 kl. 19.22 skrev <hinn at uiuc.edu> <hinn at uiuc.edu>:

> I am also very, very anti-war, Barrie. I think, though, that one

> thing that differentiates this war from Vietnam is that -- largely

> -- injured, returning soldiers aren't being treated with the

> coldness from the anti-war lot that they were then. I think people

> recognize that the tactics for recruiting and so forth are far

> different for this war and, unfortunately, we've had some absolute

> horror stories of veterans returning from Iraq not being cared for

> due to less funding going to the after-care of soldiers and more

> going to the recruitment and training of pre-war soldiers.

> Sadly...the irony is that games were used for recruitment in a huge

> way for Iraq and yet not everyone is as "enlightened" to realize

> that games can be even more powerful to help people who have been

> injured learn how to live in new ways. At the end of the day, my

> concern is with those who have been hurt -- on all sides.

> And -- on the record -- my opinion is my opinion and is not the

> opinion of the SIG and all SIG members. I feel the need to state

> that because of my position as SIG chair.

> Michelle

>>> veterans

>>> with PTSD as long as it's part of a very scaffold and supported

>>> therapy.

>>> The more specific question might be are some of these cases (the

>>> non- PTSD

>>> induced ones) a result of veterans who suffer pain and suffering

>>> due to

>>> disabilities, reduced social atmosphere, etc.

>>> PTSD is a very debilitating problem but it's well worked on by

>>> others

>>> like Skip Rizzo, Russ Shilling, and others in the cyberpsychology

>>> realm.

>>> In terms of drugs and alcohol while there are ideas for games

>>> that help

>>> here they are more suited to teens, etc. then well worn

>>> veterans. There

>>> was some work by the Marines to use a game for anti- drug efforts

>>> in the

>>> Marines - I need to find out more about that project and if it

>>> produced

>>> results.

>>> The issue of whether games work or not or especially vs. other

>>> media/

>>> processes or within them is a big part of some of the major

>>> funding RWJF

>>> is providing to the games for health community through Health Games

>>> Research. However, it's hard to do comparative media studies

>>> and it's

>>> likely we might not know for sometime these differences. It's

>>> also more

>>> likely that we parse using games vs. not based on the goals we

>>> have and

>>> how they map well to things games are accepted as doing quite

>>> well such

>>> as motivation and distance socialization.

>>> Where the SIG and its members might do well in looking at veteran

>>> issues/defense needs is in adaptation of controllers and creation of

>>> games for people who have suffered various ambulatory injuries

>>> and for

>>> people with rehabilitation needs from head injuries, etc. These

>>> would

>>> obviously have crossover use to civilians suffering from the

>>> same issues

>>> be they by birth or accidents not involving warfare.

>>> Unfortunately it is

>>> likely the DoD has more $$ more easily available to tackle these

>>> issues