[games_access] GDC 2008: VERY Bad News

d. michelle hinn hinn at uiuc.edu
Fri Nov 30 14:00:44 EST 2007

Well, there's lots to do, that's for sure. We also can't forget that
some of us (you, me, Richard, others) were hit by the GDC flu and/or
had to go to hospital (my kidney nightmare) and the selection
committee doesn't allow you to petition for that. That DRAMATICALLY
impacted a lot of our sessions and Idol went way differently than
we'd planned for. So we had a lot of bad luck last year that isn't
the fault of anyone -- but it did impact how our proposals were
viewed.

As a group, we just need to remember that we are a group. We are a
volunteer group. But we are a group and we do a lot! And every time
we get a chance we have to remember to talk about the group. Sure, we
all have individual goals, jobs, lives, etc -- but if we all
remembered to mention that we are a part of this group, this
movement, I think it would go a long way....especially when it's
something good! :)

Michelle

>Sounds like a challenge. It's too bad there was a bad reputation

>now about our group. Just feels the fighter though to get the word

>out about our initiatives even more. Still baffles my mind like

>game accessibility is just not excepted at all by the mainstream

>game design community. Until someday, some mainstream game

>designers are injured and can't find their favorite games anymore

>and then we'll see. But apparently the last 20 years they've all

>been pretty invulnerable.

>Robert

>>> Ok...

>>> So remember when I was writing for days straight for all the GDC

>>>submissions

>>> without a whole lot of help? All submissions have been accepted now so we

>>> have some bad, bad music to face. I never did put up all the final

>>> submissions on the WIKI -- I was too tired after the deadline and

>>>it doesn't

>>> matter as much now. I'll get them up for archive reasons.

>>> Well...we've been hit by reality this year. I hate to bring this up again

>>> but I feel that I have to -- A lot of public word got out about our big

>>> post-GDC fight last year (it's archived on the net...). I'm not saying that

>>> it was any one person or any one comment -- I can't even look at

>>>the archive

>> > without beating myself up about it because I felt like I had

>>really, really

>>> let everyone down. I got the proposals and the passes but I couldn't make

>>> our showing work in the best way possible. I couldn't be everywhere

>>> advertising our sessions. I was far from perfect, we were all far from

>>> perfect, we had big dreams but not enough people doing the work. I'm not

>>> saying everything goes back to that but we had a big year last year, had

>>> more than enough passes for everyone...and that was then. It's hard for

>>> me...well, it's very sad for me to realize that we had it so

>>>great last year

>>> and we didn't recognize it, we didn't have enough real help when push came

>>> to shove (or suitcase pulling came to suitcase pulling back and forth every

>>> day to the convention center). All the "should of" "would have"

>>>"could have"

>>> things are coming back to haunt me. I stopped flogging myself about this a

>>> while ago and thought that I had come to peace with it but I realize now

>>> that I still haven't stopped flogging myself about not being superhuman. I

>>> know. I know. Stop it.

>>> So...we only had one proposal accepted. All the acceptances are in now.

>>> Reid's [cc] poster (downgraded from a 20 minute talk but I think this will

>>> [<https://www.cmpevents.com/GD08/a.asp?option=C&V=11&SessID=6456>

>>>https://www.cmpevents.com/GD08/a.asp?option=C&V=11&SessID=6456 ]

>>> The other two were IGDA solicited (ie, they did not go through the system)

>>> -- accessibility arcade and the SIG meet and greet. That buys us two more

>>> passes -- one is mine since I'm SIG chair and one was for Eelke

>>>for the meet

>>> and greet because he helped on the proposals.

>>> I'm going to try and talk to everyone I can think of to try and get a few

>>> more passes because one of those is a roundtable and was solicited by IGDA

>>> (that was NOT in the proposal process) and it's accessibility arcade. To

>>> pull that off, we need more people. I hope that this gets us a few more

>>> passes.

>>> The booth is out of question unless we can get some SERIOUS money

>>>FAST. I am

>>> trying every angle I can think of but so far no luck. The booth SPACE costs

>>> $5100 for 10x10 booth -- add on about $3000 more for the "required" minimum

>>> of stuff we have to provide...no way. IF we get an expo booth it

>>>will get us

>>> more EXPO passes, which will restrict those with these passes to just being

>>> able to get into the expo area (no talks, etc). That's the reality.

>>> I'm sorry to have to tell you this and I'm sorry for the

>>>anger/sadness in my

>> > tone. We are not going to be able to bring everyone we want to.

>>I cannot say

>>> when or if I'll hear if we can get more passes. I know some of you have

>>> already made flight and hotel arrangements. If you are one of these people,

>>> please check with your airlines, etc for the last date to cancel without

>>> penalty.

>>> So three passes...that's it. That's where we are at. I will let you know if

>>> the pass situation changes but for now it doesn't look great. We now have

>>> fifteen fewer passes so those of us in attendance are going to have to try

>>> and talk our asses off at GDC.

>>> Michelle