[games_access] same proposal in multiple tracks

d. michelle hinn hinn at uiuc.edu
Mon Oct 1 03:58:25 EDT 2007

>Sweet !
>
>Cool so can I help organize /coordinate the accessibility task force
>and use my physical appearance to intimidate game developers and get
>their asses at our talks?

Hehe. Ok, but you have to tell me what an accessibility task force is
first! And remember I'm the "accessibility evangelist" (as Richard
dubbed me) so I'm always for multiple approaches because it spreads
the word! Yes, I think if you stood in front of the doors to other
talks and pointed at our room, looking super fierce that would help.
;)

>What we need:
>- cool shirts

So as Barrie found out...Cafe Press yanked our design. I'm going to
shop around town here at some t-shirt shops to find out cost per
shirt and where the quantity price breaks are. Can you do the same in
Reno? Wherever there's a university, there's t-shirt shops. Then we
can compare prices for bulk shirt orders. And we need some place who
will print the ghosts. :D

Should we go with the file Barrie sent? That would make sense to me.
It might need to be tweaked in photoshop if we are going to print it
on black, which always adds a little extra work. Richard, can you
help us tweak Barrie's file so that it can be printed (and look good)
on black? We definitely needs some shirts of some sort for E for All
but I don't know where we can get them quickly enough if Vista Print
can't do it.

>- if only we had booth babes/hunks to help us.

hmmmmm....this probably isn't gonna happen unless we figure out where
we can find a set of really good looking people who all want to stand
at the booth for free. :D So I guess we'll all just have to do our
best to be as baby (babish? babelike?) and as hunky as we can.
Hmm...I just remembered that my class is making an accessible game
with sexual themes...well maybe the graphics guys in the class can
make us some avatars we can make lifesize cutouts of? Lol.

>- brief concise flyers with 10 little nuggets of knowledge that can be
>pinned to a game developers cubicle and provide immediate inspiration
>on how to improve his or her game. Draft topics list (lets vote on
>what should be on here & this is in no way a promotion of my work I
>suggest we keep the number of "adds' to a minimum maybe just a link to
>the igda / accessibility sig so they can find the rest from there):
>   1. Closed captions
>   2. Customizable controls
>   3. Slow
>   4. Assists
>   5. x
>   6. x
>   7. x
>   8. x
>   9.x
>10. x

Well we have our current top ten list (it's somewhere on the wiki too
but I'm still madly typing) -- that has a lot on it. We can update it
though -- so far I think the ones you suggest are on the list. So
maybe take a look at the list we've used for the past two years and
see what can be consolidated, added, subtracted, better explained.
And then we can start there with the addition of other ideas and then
we can discuss/vote on what makes the cut for the flier. As you said,
the rest can be on the sig site.

I think we're getting there for GDC -- I'm already feeling pumped now
that we have you looking at the "what to do when you aren't speaking"
plan of attack and I'll keep charge of the proposals and CMP stuff.

So we do both and hopefully reap the benefits of having a real plan
in place for negotiating the talks AND the expo. There's no reason to
drop proposals when so many get axed anyway and they are important
too -- but networking is just as important and it will no doubt help
get more people into our talks and visiting our booth. And it's also
something that happens after a talk, during Q&A and when people come
up to you to swap cards with you. So with strong proposals like we
have and a strong marketing plan, it can only serve to help us!

Kick. Ass. :D