[games_access] GDC...The Proposal Post Mortem

d. michelle hinn hinn at uiuc.edu
Tue Oct 2 13:06:45 EDT 2007

So the proposals are in -- some in better shape than others. Some
aren't posted on the wiki or updated on the wiki yet because I was
using word since I was the only one editing. I'll do that when I'm
not scrambling to prep my class.

So I was awake for about 40 hours before the 11:59pm deadline trying
to get things ready and  submitted. I'm not super happy about that
but every GDC comes with its lessons. I learned that when you work as
hard as you can to be as open about the process and coach others as
possible under extreme time constraints (oh and that life that I had
to put on complete hold along with that kidney thing), it definitely
takes up a lot more time than flying solo, which tightens the time
constraints even more. But the good part is that it allowed others to
help with the write ups and I'm glad for that. We're getting there.
We are all learning.

This is going to be a really rough year I fear but I think that given
how many proposals are in on game accessibility they have to see that
we really mean business and that worked for us last year. Of course
there is the counter argument about putting in one versus many...but
my gut (and rumors) told me that this year we'd better or we risk too
much in the passes department because the odds are really bad this
year for proposal acceptance. I already found out that the Curriculum
panel was out before the next proposal went into the system. In the
end it's a crap shoot. You just don't really know what the outcome
will be. We have to be realistic with our expectations but we can
hope good thoughts!

Unfortunately I just learned this morning that the IGDA has been
slashed the number of sessions they have been given by CMP so if we
totally crap out with GDC Main then we might be able to get a single
roundtable. The trouble is...roundtables come with very few (usually
no more than 2 speaker's passes). So everyone think good and lucky
thoughts. As for the rest of the proposals, we'll hear back in either
November or December (they say different things on different pages
and emails)...except if they do a quick rejection cycle and get rid
of a lot before they start looking at them seriously.

We'll also have some summit proposals in (Ben -- if you have read
this far I'll email or call you in the next day or so) -- Serious
Games and Independent Games. This is another avenue we'll take. Talks
for those won't be the same because it will attract a more selective
audience because it takes place before the main part of GDC (GDC
Main) starts and the Expo starts. But I think we'll have a good
audience for each of those because they are both really supportive of
the SIG. And that will come with more speaker's passes if they accept
us.

The booth comes with some passes but they only allow admission to the
Expo so you can't go to any of the talks, you can't even be on those
floors of the building. And you don't get into a lot of the
receptions, etc. I'm still finding out the details of that and will
keep you up to date.

So this is a "highs and lows" email and now the politics begin for me
as I try to get as many of us to GDC as we can so that we CAN canvas
the place with fliers, ask about accessibility in as many talks as
possible, escort people to talks, the booth, etc. This is why both
the talks and the networking are just as important -- they can't
exist without the other. Well, they can...but we want more because we
want accessible games so we need every avenue we can get! All are
critical.

I really want to thank Reid and Richard for their help in those final
hours before the deadline. And thanks to Barrie, Thomas, and Eelke
for their work on SIG proposals, publicity in the weeks before. This
year felt more like a team effort than ever before and I hope we can
keep working on this, keep strengthening and growing the team!

On that note...best of luck to US (all of us...not just the united
states)! Now...onto E for All! Oh what's that? It happens in about
two weeks? Busy...busy...busy...