[games_access] CC in Games, and Reid's proposal

DJ Bono ladysekhmet.dj at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 05:13:57 EDT 2007

Read the proposal, I agree with those of you who felt the wordings were
weak. Reid - You do need to describe the difference between subtitling and
close captioning because *I* think the hearing people (meaning peeps who can
hear. LOL), don't realize that subtitling and CC is two totally different
things. It looks great though!

You know what's really weird...If I could, I could go after the industry and
slam the book on ADA law in front of them because I cannot enjoy their game
without closed captioning and sue their a$$. Of course, no one have the
ability to go after these companies.   Yes I think it will be the greatest
thing to have CC in games and the ability to show it on the BOX..just like
on DVDs.
    More often, on DVDs that are NOT CC'd, it's subtitled...and yes, there's
some stuff that gets lost, like ("Music in background", "beep booop beep")
     I think the hardest sounds to record is any electronic sounds, like
beeping. "Beeeeep" is very different than "Beep". :-)   Another thing that I
hate is even when it's subtitled, sometimes I have a hard time telling WHO
is saying what. Example - Grand Theft Auto: SA. Subtitles are great (but not
so good when I'm free roaming hitting on girls or other people), however
when there's a dialog, I occasionally have difficult time distinguishing who
is talking.  They need to add...CJ: Rock on Dude, Smoke: Yeah brother!
Something like that.

     4 games ever in history??? Yeah, what are they? :-)

I think I mentioned this a long time ago, but check out www.deafgamers.com.
It's a great site to get an insight through deaf people's eyes on why the
game failed and why the game succeeded when it comes to deaf gamers.