[games_access] E for All and GDC booths

d. michelle hinn hinn at uiuc.edu
Thu Oct 11 13:03:29 EDT 2007

Yes I agree -- or at least find out how willing to be dedicated and
learn more about accessibility through supporting our work.

Looking at the list...we can throw Garage right out the window. They
have failed to respond to any emails or calls about Eelke's work
(with Reid helping test) on Torque[cc]. I don't know what happened
and I'm 99% sure it's not something we did wrong. It's a strong
lesson for us on dedication from the industry, although they sure
made it seem like they were on board because they contacted us first.
It's a shame...nothing more or less to say about that.

I think we also could ask Nintendo, as Eitan has been leading the
effort on AudiOdyssey and this could get some more support from
Nintendo and Nintendo 3rd party studios after E for All. We can also
go the "brain age" route and tell them why things like this are so
important for cognitive abilities.

We could also ask Microsoft and Sony -- I doubt that they would help
sponsor given their track record to date but, hey, it doesn't hurt to
ask. I/we just need to figure out who the best people to ask are and
my contacts plus former colleagues have not been able to help.
Organizations for, say, the blind might also be able to provide some
monetary support (not as much as a game company but every bit counts,
every bit adds up). And we need to start writing the SIG into grants
when it makes sense.

And, yeah, E for All...that's going to be whatever money we can beg
for after the fact. I wish I was a billionaire (don't we all?) and
that this would be pocket change for me...but it's not. And we're too
close to do something like cancel because (1) I signed a binding
agreement that will charge me for the booth if we don't show or
decide not to show at this late date that is MORE than what I have
already had to cover and (2) too many people will get hotel penalties
(the travel group for this conference charges you a day if you cancel
now) and airline penalties. So anything we can get now would be great
but it's mostly a done deal.

So...we have to start learning about how to raise funds. I think we
can do it if we all do what we can to help. The days of as many GDC
passes as we want are over. The days of not needing to raise money
are over. And I need to set us up (and find out the IGDA rules for
this) as a charitable non-profit in the US (which is where the IGDA
is set up, although they aren't a charitable non-profit -- boy have I
been learning a lot) so that we can get our Tax ID and a bank account
that will help cover things like this and maybe even travel for those
of us who do important work for the SIG and for game accessibility in
general but cannot afford to attend conferences.

Ah...growing pains. :)

Michelle