[games_access] GDC Booth

Eelke Folmer eelke.folmer at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 22:23:23 EDT 2007

Hi Michelle,

I think we should start thinking about fundraising. 8000 dollars
however, is a lot of money to raise. But we need structural funding if
we want to continue doing what we did in the past. Maybe we should
discuss some strategies. Do we need to decide on a booth before we get
the acceptance/ rejection on our GDC proposals (when is that exactly)?

I think we should start thinking about a worst case / best case
scenario for this year's GDC. Worst case none of our proposals is
accepted and we have no booth and hence no one get a pass. What can we
still do in such a situation? (we could still hand out flyers for
those that go anyway), maybe demo our stuff at another location close
to GDC? We can still organize SIG meetings right? the location we were
at last time e.g the Hall way in the north halls, those big tables
would it be possible to demo some stuff there for lets say an hour? I
think we should also start thinking about what I think Eitan suggested
to organize an indie game competition with the sole focus on creating
an accessible game. Maybe for next years GDC we could present these at
Jonathan Blow's experimental game workshop?

cheers Eelke

On 10/24/07, hinn at uiuc.edu <hinn at uiuc.edu> wrote:
> Ok...some really, really bad news.
>
> So we've already learned that a "free" booth at an expo only means the physical space and that at the end of the whole thing we were talking around $3000 for the additional costs (they kept building up all week). But the "free" was a $5000 discount to put things into perspective.
>
> Now I hear from the GDC people...a 10x10 booth (note: this is half the size we had at E for All but it was the original space we were supposed to have -- thank you people who did not show up! :) ) runs $5400. And, yes, that means ONLY the physical space. They are estimating a similar number ($3000) in addition to the $5400 for a completed booth (which is required and which is everything from carpet to insurance to electricity ($$ by the voltage).
>
> Whoa. I threw back a question their way about the deadline for saying "yes/no" so we know how much time we are talking about before major $$$ is due.
>
> If we are going to seriously pull this off? We need some people who will seriously work with me to help raise this cash (not to mention working the booth at the actual conference). This doesn't mean just raising questions like "what about Microsoft?" -- this means actively asking any/all contacts you have about major booth $$ sponsorship. So...Not just me doing this. I still have money to raise to retrograde sponsor us for last week and am dealing with a bad pneumonia and teaching all at the same time.
>
> I know the booth sounded like a really good idea but now we need to really think if this is a good enough idea that is worth raising around $8000 for? I think $8000 is possible but we are going to need to work our collective butts off for this.
>
> So much to think about...eee....
>
> Michelle
> these are mediocre times and people are
> losing hope. it's hard for many people
> to believe that there are extraordinary
> things inside themselves, as well as
> others. i hope you can keep an open
> mind.
>  -- "unbreakable"

Eelke Folmer                           Assistant Professor
Department of CS&E/171
University of Nevada              Reno, Nevada 89557
Game interaction design        www.helpyouplay.com