[games_access] Speech to Sign

d. michelle hinn hinn at uiuc.edu
Sat Sep 15 19:37:28 EDT 2007

A complete aside but I was really interested in this -- I was talking
to a researcher yesterday who does work about deaf teen culture and
she mentioned to me that she was recently at a PhD dissertation
defense via video conference. The student defending was deaf. So I
asked her how that went, given that there were a variety of different
ways that she (the researcher) could be broadcast to the student, who
didn't read lips. I'd assumed that there was some sort of closed
captioning but instead they had a sign language interpreter who
translated in spoken word Jenny's (the researcher) signing to the
non-signing members of the dissertation committee when she was
signing a comment/question to the student and then she used spoken
word when talking to the committee members directly rather than the
student and the sign language interpreter would sign what was being
spoken to the student. And it worked in a way more effective way than
their early tests with live closed captioning. It was a really cool
solution that worked for everyone that could have been a disaster
before video conferencing got to today's standards and if the student
had a committee with some real $#@$#@( faculty (not that the faculty
would have been able to get away with it legally...but it's good to
know that they really accepted this "non-traditional" (at least at
the point in time where at) format and did what was fair for all AND
still academically rigorous.

Reminds me...I was going to post something more about GDC
Austin...I'll do so in a follow up email. :)

Michelle