[games_access] GDC 2008

Eelke Folmer eelke.folmer at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 03:05:14 EDT 2007

Hi Michelle,

Would it be an idea to have an msn meeting this week to brainstorm
over some ideas?
I haven't really given GDC any thoughts apart from my "outburst" after
the previous GDC since I am mostly focusing on research into game
accessibility.

For myself I only see a role as a contributer to the GDC expo unless I
might be able to contribute something to the audio topic with the SL
voice client. My students will submit our one button shooter to the
IGF competition which will hopefully make it to the IGF awards.

Cheers Eelke

On 9/15/07, d. michelle hinn <hinn at uiuc.edu> wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> So as you know (or not) the GDC final proposals that go through the system
> (not the IGDA track) are due Oct 1st. I've set up a page on the wiki that
> I'll be filling in over the weekend with proposals that I know of that are
> going through the regular review system:
>

> http://www.igda.org/wiki/GASIG_GDC_San_Francisco_2008
>

> If you have an idea for a session that WE (ie, the SIG) should turn in,
> please also add that to the list.
>

> If you are planning to put in a session that you DON'T want turned in with
> the SIG proposals, please add them to this list with a short description
> with a note saying that you are turning that in independently just so that I
> know how many game accessibility proposals are out there. This will also
> help me keep an eye out for them, as some, if rejected, might be able to be
> put in through the IGDA track (there might have to be a presentation format
> change but it's a "second chance" opportunity).
>

> Finally -- to ensure that I have an idea about how many passes we will need
> for GDC, please send me an email and/or post it on the wiki if you are
> planning on attending GDC 2008. That way I can distribute names across the
> proposals as needed to ensure that as many people who want to attend as
> possible will be able to gain access to the GDC without worry.
>

> As you know, we are using a different method for GDC 2008, replacing the
> really exhausting daily set up and take down of the accessibility arcade
> with an expo booth (also allows us to get the message across to those who
> only have very limited GDC access). We're also distributing the work of the
> sessions more so that I'm not "in charge" of all of the presentations. I
> might be in many of them but I won't be the one doing the main planning for
> all of them once we get past the submission process.
>

> Thanks everyone!
> Michelle

Eelke Folmer                           Assistant Professor
Department of CS&E/171
University of Nevada              Reno, Nevada 89557
Game interaction design        www.helpyouplay.com